Monday, March 29, 2010

Once the Ball Started Rolling...

Oh man, this was tough for me. Why? I don't know. But I asked everyone I knew before I finally came up with my topic. Literally, I was calling people. But after a weekend of topic searching, I narrowed it down to three: breastfeeding, organic gardening, and the obesity epidemic. I made the following list and decided to go with the latter choice, obesity. Note: all topics are what I consider trends, so, for example, a cause for breastfeeding coming out as a trend is the benefits to the child.


1. POSSIBLE TOPICS:

breastfeeding

organic gardening

obesity


2. CAUSES OF TOPICS:

breastfeeding
- benefits for the child
- benefits for the mother
- cost effective
- convenience

organic gardening
- better soil = better food
- recession (growing a garden is a good way to save money)

obesity epidemic
- formula fed babies tend to become obese later in life
- less sleep from stress
- large portions
- high fructose corn syrup
- processed foods
- fast food

3. AND THE WINNER IS...OBESITY.

And so went my brainstorming process. It took a while to get the ball rolling, but came easily once it did. My "causes" of the current obestiy epidemic were thanks to my mother and her reading the New York Times, but I am looking forward to delving deeper!

1 comment:

  1. As sick as it is, obesity truly is a trend right now. I guess it's no different than when smoking cigarettes (and weed) was a trend. One of the biggest problems with obesity, besides all the medical issues of course, is the fact that it effects our children so much. Obesity in children is on the rise like crazy, and who can we blame but ourselves for that? Great topic, I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete