Friday, May 7, 2010

Interesting Finds...

My research so far has uncovered some information that (to me, anyway) seems to be common knowledge, and other information that literally made my jaw drop. For example, according to Jeanie Lerche Davis of Webmd, in the year 200, 17% of deaths were due to poor diet and lack of physical activity. This is only 1% less than deaths due to smoking (para 1) . How crazy is that? Additionaly, Jesse McKinley of the New York Times reported that, "the board of supervisors in Santa Clara County, south of San Francisco, voted Tuesday to ban the promotional toys that often accompany child-size portions of cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets if those meals don’t meet certain nutritional standards" (para 1). As dissapointed as I would be if I were a kid in Santa Clara County with a toy-less happy meal, I feel this is a wise choice. When I take my sisters to Mc Donalds, I have to enforce a "no toy until you are done eating" rule, so I've seen first hand just how much of an incentive the toys are. If fresh, healthy meals were accompanied by them, I am sure my sisters (and their peers)would be more inclined to eat them. Fascinating stuff, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment